Let’s face it, with the clocks falling back an hour this weekend (2am Sunday 31st October), there is little or no chance us parents are going to benefit from that extra hour in bed! So how do we increase our chances of getting some of that time back? Here are a few things you can do to try and adjust your little one’s sleep pattern in time for that extra hour (or extra 5 minutes!!).
- Alter the usual bedtime the day before or even just on the day by making it a half hour or an hour later than usual.
- Naps and mealtimes will also need to be altered in line with bedtime on those days. Making breakfast, lunch, dinner and any naps a little bit later than usual.
- Tire older babies and toddlers out as much as possible during the day.
- Black out blinds can help to create an atmosphere of sleep and block out any light from outside e.g. street lights etc.
- Create a calming atmosphere before bed. Maybe build in a relaxing baby bath if that usually helps them relax. The Shnuggle Moonlight can also help with its soft glow and low blue light levels for promoting sleep and a bath before bed can also help relax your little one for bed.
Realistically they may still wake early even when you try all these things as your little one's internal sleep clock probably won’t adjust that easily. So if all fails, take comfort in the fact that you have an extra hour to enjoy your Sunday!